Monday, February 14, 2011

Leiden & Glück: The Journal of a German Immigrant.

This leather journal was found abandoned in a small town's library. The small town was actually a replica of a German state. The title of this said journal was "Klaus Wolf". It was obvious that he wanted his name to be remembered and kept throughout time. It is exactly that what happened. It is unfortunate that time and certain natural causes destroyed half of the journal's pages and only about a few journal entries survived, barely of course. The following will be the surviving (and translated) entries this earth has spared. The journal dates to the late 1800's.



September 12th

I can't believe this is happening. Earlier on this journal I mentioned how Germany was being attacked and how my family barely got out of the chaos. It seems that God wants to test our personal, as well as group, strength. I cannot let these idiotic, political, quarrels to interfere the lives of my loving wife and daughter. As I have mentioned before, they are the light to my life, the only reason I keep fighting and moving on. It is all for them. I started to think, "Is America really a better place?" I've heard rumors by the Beer Barrel shoppe that many were immigrating to America, better known as the United States. I know I shouldn't believe everything I hear, but....investigating never hurt anyone. Anyways, today was a fiery day in the medical center. The medical center isn't at all big, it's just a wooden facility with a few extra rooms. It's not glamorous but it's all we have and i'm happy that we at least have doctors to treat our sick and wounded people. Talking about sick and wounded people, today I saw a man with no face. It seemed he had fallen by gun shot in the middle of the street and got trampled by upcoming, raging citizens. The protesters here are mad, mad I tell you. I am scared for our family. These angry mobs are getting closer to town, to my house, to my family. I leave these thoughts here, just in case something happens. I want all this to be remembered.


November 24th

I've finally done it! I've saved up enough to go to the United States! I can't wait for my family to hear this. I just can't wait. My daughter will be happy too I bet! I can't wait to see her smile when we're living in the "American" dream. Although I am quite skeptical of this "perfect" dream. I should know about lies the government tries to pull off....I should know better really. Germany....this town.....it's just awful to look at, but yet our country still promotes its comfortable, prosperous living life. Just today, 10 dead bodies lined the concrete streets. One of the bodies caught my eye due to the small child sitting next to it. It seemed that that little boy lost his father...or close relative. He was covered in blood and ashes and he was holding the corpse's hand. I overheard people mentioning a surprise attack in the outer skirts of the town. The bodies must have been moved here to be buried in the nearest cemetery. It was hard to look at, the whole scene, it was just devastating. I couldn't imagine myself in that situation or even my daughter experiencing it. I want to live on to see her smile as well as the smile of my loving wife. I'll tell them the glorious news once I get home. I'm writing this on my lunch break rather quickly. I should record all of these for future references.

November 29th

My family and me are finally packing up. I got us a trip via train and then passes to travel by boat. The train we're supposed to get on is in Britain. It's a long trip there, but it was the cheapest thing we could find. I just hope we leave before this whole place ends up under the ground. Just like the night my wife and I were awakened by gun fire. We panicked and ran to our daughter's room. She was awake and crying dreadfully. We held on until the gun shots ended. I do believe it was a meaningless battle that came up due to some idiot, but it really scared us. Thank God we are leaving soon.....I can't take this pressure anymore.
.......................................................................................................................

It's 3:20 am....i'm wide awake writing in our washing room. I have to admit, I am scared....I don't want to wake my wife, we've already had a big scare a couple of days ago. I had a dream....more like a nightmare. I'm guessing the event that happened recently scared me out of my wits and got my mind thinking. In the dream my family and I were traveling calmly over to Britain when suddenly the whole scene goes black. Now, it was darker than dark, I could barely even see my hands right in front of me. All of the sudden the darkness turned into a faint red, a crimson red. In my ear came a ringing, it was unbearable. It constantly rang, hurting my ear, making my head spin. At one point I closed my eyes and curled up in a fetal position. I forgot about my family, I don't know how I could have though. Surely the ringing would bother them too. Once this came to thought I opened my eyes and went to grab them both but they weren't there. Instead, in there place, were these two body bags. They were crummy and burnt. I couldn't stand the sight of them. They had crosses on them painted in blood, their names were also written. Without thinking it twice, I ran away. I couldn't stand the place. I just couldn't. My wife, my daughter, dead? I couldn't believe it. I ran as hard as I can to later notice the slippery substance the ground was covered in. The trail I was walking on was covered with puddles of the crimson liquid. I also notice the insane amount of body bags there was surrounding me. I fainted, I couldn't handle it anymore. As of now, I am sweating like some kind of animal. I believe these past encounters with the dead have stirred up my mind. God, please help us in our journey. This country is becoming mad.


December 12th


We're finally here! On this boat we will finally get to our wonderful, new destination! I am so glad we are away from our homeland. I admit, I will miss it, but right now it is not a place to live in and raise a beautiful healthy young daughter. I saved enough money to get us started in America. I also have a friend who is currently living in one of these German replica towns. I hope it feels homely. I don't want my daughter to feel out of place. Even if we escaped the extreme turmoils in our country, we still saw awful things on our way here. People are desperate to leave the homeland, not all were Germans. They even tried stealing tickets to get in, but they were eventually caught and sent back to their homes with a fine. It makes me sad to see all these people, wanting a better life, staying behind in a place they no longer see as home. I am worried though. This new home, this new land, it's intimidating. We also have to learn a new language and phrases that'll help us get in America faster. I wrote suggestions on a piece of paper that my friend had told me. I hope this gets us in faster. I think my wife is getting tired of this constant movement. I try to please her with thoughts of a new world but she isn't feeling any better. I presume she's home sick. Germany was our home after all.


December 15th


Today we arrived in a place called, "Ellis Island". It's so crowded here and so far we've been treated like rubbish. They didn't even let us keep half of our packages! I cannot believe this. My daughter and wife have been taken from me for interrogation. Why would they want to ask us questions separately? We came here as a family, not as individuals. I am worried sick. I can't even write too much. My hands are shaking in rage and anger. These men here, they come from different lands but somehow we all share the same feeling. The feeling of fear and sadness. Just moments ago they arrested a man and yelled out they were taking him back to his country. Why would they do that? After a long journey, why would they send this man back when they know the effort and time it took to get here? I don't understand these "Americans". They encourage people to think their country is friendly and understanding, but all I see are lying scoundrels! These officers say my time of questioning is getting near. I pray to God they see the hard working man that I am. I come here with good intentions and I want them to see that. I want them to see how people of different origins can be as good as they are. I want my wife, my child, to join me too. I can only have faith....


December 24th


Who would have thought.....We were admitted passes just weeks after being interrogated. At the moment I thought it was an eternal wait, but now it seems so fast and compared to others, we were let out easily and faster. Orientals seem to have the longest wait. I hope they get out of here soon before they too become mad.

It's Christmas Eve and these officers let me see my daughter and wife for a bit. I pleaded them until they finally gave up. I had no shame, I needed to see my family on this day. I had no presents due to our situation in this island, but just seeing them made me, as well as them, smile with content. The moment went fast and the police men pulled me away as soon as they thought it was enough. I'm glad though. On Christmas Day, we will be free. We will finally be in America.


December 27th


I am now writing comfortably in our new home. My friend had reserved a small cabin in the center of the town for me and my family. It's not much, but it'll have to do. My wife finally looks happy and joyous and my daughter is running around in her new American clothes. My money is tight but I already have a job at the factory my friend works at. My friend, Jakob, was surely a great help to us. We were one lucky family to have this person help us. We know this is not the case for many. My daughter will start school next week. She knows a bit of English so I think she might be able to make German friends as well as American friends. I want my daughter to bloom well in this country. As for my wife, she is fine working at home doing laundry and cooking. She is a wonderful wife and I am glad I could put colors into her dull, worried life. This land, this country, this new home, it smells of new opportunities. We are doing well and we hope to keep living like this for years to come. We are now citizens of the United States and we will proudly accept this, but in our hearts we know where we truly come from and that is our homeland, Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment